More about Barrack
Barrack Muluka is a seasoned publishing editor and strategic communications adviser. He is also a writer in politics and a regular commentator on social and public affairs on the global platform.
He is a graduate of the University of Nairobi, with qualifications in B.A. (Linguistics and English), PGD Mass Communication and M.A (Armed Conflict & Peace Studies).
He is a PHD Researcher in Politics & International Relations (University of Leicester, UK), with special interest in Migration Studies.
He has written and published significant Kenyan biographies and other literary works and social and political treatises.
Barrack has undertaken key strategic communications consultancies under the aegis of the European Union, the UN, the World Bank, the Government of Kenya, the University of Nairobi, the Kenya Institute of Management, the Ford Foundation and the National Democratic Institute, among many other challenging assignments.
He is presently the Lead Communications Consultant at the Kenya based Midas Touch Media.
Barrack's Curriculum Vitae
BARRACK O. MULUKA
P. O. Box 63050 Nairobi 00200
firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Date of birth: 10 January 1958
To make outstanding contribution to a peaceful, fair and just world through research and processing, packaging and dissemination of appropriate information.
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL TRAINING QUALIFICATIONS
- PhD Researcher, Politics & International Relations, University of Leicester, U.K.
- Master of Arts: Armed Conflict and Peace Studies, University of Nairobi, 2010
- Postgraduate Diploma in Mass Communication University of Nairobi, 1986
- Bachelor of Arts Degree: Linguistics and English, University of Nairobi, 1983
- May – August 1984: Awarded Certificate in Radio Production, Kenya Institute of Mass Communication
- August 1999: The Kenya Institute of Management, Certificate in Finance for the Non Finance Manager
- June 2000 – August 2004: French Cultural Centre, Nairobi, Diploma in French
STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS CONSSULTANCY & TRAINING
- Lead Consultant in Strategic & Political Communications, Midas Touch Media Ltd, Nairobi Kenya
- Public Communications Adviser, to the Council of Governors, Nairobi Kenya
- Consulting as Chief Advisor for Africa Governance, Leadership & Management Convention Secretariat, Kenya Institute of Management (KIM)
- Principal Adviser on Partnerships, Liaisons and Public Communications, KIM
- Strategic Communications Trainer for Africa Woman & Child Feature Services, Nairobi Kenya
- Chairman, Mvule Africa Publishers, Nairobi Kenya, March 2005 – June 2016)
Other Key Current Engagements
- Communications Strategic Plan for the State Department for Gender Affairs, Republic of Kenya (July – September 2016), under the aegis of the European Union
- Strategic Communications Advisory, Ministry of Information, Republic of Kenya (April – July 2014), under the aegis of the UNDP
Chief Judge, Pan African Climate Justice Alliance) Environmental Journalism Awards 2013 – 2016
- Editorial Consultant and Research Peer Adviser: Institute for Security Studies (ISS), Nairobi – March 2009 to date
- Peer Adviser, Editorial Consultant, International Peace Training Support Centre, Nairobi (IPTSC) – September 2012 to date
- Peace and Communications Trainer, IPTSC – September 2012 – to date
- Weekly Columnist: East African Standard, (September 1998 to date)
- Weekly Commentator, NTV AMLive
- Weekly Commentator, Citizen TV
- Weekly Commentator, Radio Mulembe FM (Royal Media Services)
- Regular Commentator, KTN TV
- Media Consultant & regular commentator on global political, economic and Social affairs on BBC, Voice of America, Radio France International, Radio Deustche Welle, Citizen Television (K), Kenya Television Network
- Media and Training Consultant: INTERNEWS (K)
- Deputy Chairperson: Institute for Education in Democracy, Kenya (March 2013 to date)
- Member: Institute for Education in Democracy, Nairobi Kenya
Peace and Conflict Researcher: UNDP (January 2009 to date)
- Deputy Chairperson, Institute for Education in Democracy in Kenya (2009 – 2014)
- Member of the Governing Council of the University of Nairobi, Kenya (2010 – 2014)
- Member of the Board of the Nairobi Hospice
LANGUAGE QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCE
- English – Excellent (University Level)
- Kiswahili – Excellent (University Level)
- French – Good, especially oral (Diploma – French Cultural Centre)
PROFESSIONAL AREAS OF QUALIFICATION AND COMPETENCE
- Public Information and Communications
- Publishing and Book Trade
- Armed Conflict and Peace Studies
- Politics and International Relations
- Barrack is a specialist in public information gathering, packaging, management and production with a strong bias towards governance and leadership affairs. I am particularly interested in conflict and peace studies as my forte.
- Research, developing, processing and appropriately package information for specific purposes and audiences. Wide experience in book publishing, newspaper and magazine production.
- Experience in production of subsidiary and ancillary publications – such as newsletters, annual reports and other small publications.
- Researched for UNDP (K) in Conflict and Peace in various parts of Kenya and consulted in peace for the Institute for Security Studies (ISS) and for the International Centre for Peace Studies Training (ICPST) in Nairobi.
- Skilled and experienced writer and editor. A steady writing and editing career over three decades. Developed hundreds of publications, over and above training many outstanding writers, journalists and editors throughout Africa.
- Worked in broadcasting both on full time basis and in consultancy, since 1983 to date. Commentator for the Kenya Broadcasting Corporation, the Nation Media Group, the Standard KTN Group, Royal Media and the British Broadcasting Corporation. Media interviews with the Zambia Broadcasting Corporation, South African Broadcasting Corporation, Radio Japan, Radio Deutsche Welle, Radio France International, Voice of America, and the British Broadcasting Corporation.
OTHER EMPLOYMENT & KEY CONSULTANCY HISTORY
- November 2005: Consulted for UN (OPA) and UNDP on Natural Resource Discovery and Armed Conflict in East Africa and the Great Lakes Region
- March 2005 to date: Various local and international communication, media and research consultancies, as detailed below:
- March 2005 to June 2016: Chairman, Mvule Africa Publications – Advising on publishing policy, chair to the Board of Directors and lead in local and international publishing networking in all areas of publications development.
- December 2008 – to date: Part time Editorial and Research Consultant for the UNDP – OCHA in Armed Conflict and Peace Studies.
- March 2009 – to date: Part time Consulting Editor for the Institute for Security Studies (ISS), Nairobi Office, handling publications on Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Sudan, Somalia, Ethiopia and Botswana.
- June – 2009 to December 2011: Marketing and Communications Lead Consultant for Kenya’s National Business Competition and Training Project, under the aegis of The Kenya Institute of Management, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, TechnoServe (K) Ltd, the Ministry of Industrialization and The World Bank.
July 1998 to March 2005
Managing Director & CEO East African Educational Publishers Ltd. (EAEP)- formerly Heinemann Educational Books (EA) Ltd; leading publishers of educational materials in sub-Saharan Africa, publishing for school, university and general books. As Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, reported to the Chairman and to the Board of Directors. Led a highly motivated team of 82 full-time employees, assisted by about 40 non-permanent staff. Other duties included, but were not limited to the following:
- Overall management of people skills, process skills, financial resource planning.
- Overall direction of personnel skills towards the company’s vision as a leader in publishing in Africa
- Overall direction of people skills in realizing the company’s mission in providing quality information and knowledge for high standards for human living
- Overall budgetary planning and management
- Overall personnel management
- Making quarterly reports to the Board of Directors on management processes and skills, financial returns and management accounts
- Representing the company on professional bodies
- Interpreting Government policy affecting the publishing sectors and leading staff in appropriate planning and adaptive strategies
- Overall management of Corporate Image
- Responsibility to shareholders through the Board and the Annual General Meeting
PREVIOUS POSTING WITH E.A.E.P & HEINEMANN
January 1996 – July 1998: Editorial & Production Director – East African Educational publishers Ltd.
October 1987 – January 1994: English Language Teaching (ELT) Editor, Heinemann Kenya Ltd
OTHER WORKING EXPERIENCE
Working in the media
- 1986 – 1987: Lecturer, Information Training, Kenya Institute of Mass Communication
- 1983 – 1986: Radio and TV Producer, Voice of Kenya (Researched and produced a wide range of feature and magazine programmes for radio and television. Anchored television discussion programmes and talk shows.
- Researched and widely published commentaries and essays on the arts, culture and public affairs in Kenyan newspapers (The Daily Nation, Sunday Nation, the East African Standard and the Sunday Standard) since 1986. have Contributed articles in the BBC Focus on Africa Magazine, Drum Magazine and Education Digest, the African Diplomat, the Nairobi Law Monthly and the KIM Management Magazine.
Seminars, workshops and public lecturers
Numerous workshop and seminar papers on publishing, on the media and on governance and leadership in a wide range of forums in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Ghana, South Africa, India, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, the Republic of Congo and in the United States of America. Most of them published in leading international journals, such as the Dag Hammarskjold Foundation’s Development Dialogue.
Barrack’s books and publications
- Martin Oduor Otieno: Beyond the Shadows of My Dream (A Biography). Mvule Africa Publishers.
- An Assessment of Cultural Methods of Peacemaking and Reconciliation in Selected Kenyan Communities (with George Gona) (A UNDP Project) 2009 – 2010
- Mt. Elgon Conflict: A Rapid Assessment of the Underpinning Social-Economic, Governance and Security Factors. (A UNDP/OCHA Project) 2009
- The Girl who Dared to Dream: Autobiography of Betty Gikonyo. Mvule Africa. 2013.
- Tender Memories (with Arthur Luvai/Wanjiku Kabira). Heinemann 1989
- Notes on African Short Stories. Heinemann 1991
- Why Dog Left the Forest, (a children’s reader). E.A.E.P 1996
- When Ogres Lived (a children’s reader). E.A.E.P 1997
- Kandu and the Lake (a children’s reader). E.A.E.P. 2003
- The Doomed Conspiracy & Other Short Stories. E.A.E.P, 2011
Challenging the Rulers: Towards Responsible Devolved Government (Co-eds. Okoth Okombo, Betty Sungura).
- A Kiswahili reading scheme for Mvule Africa (2013)
Kisa cha Mtego wa Panya 1
Kisa cha Mtego wa Panya 2
Kisa cha Mtego wa Panya 3
Kisa cha Mtego wa Panya 4
Kisa cha Mtego wa Panya 5
OTHER MEMBERSHIPS & PROFESSIONAL ENGAGEMENTS
- Professional Communications Consultant to Raila A. Odinga
- Presidential Campaign Secretariat (March – October 2012)
- Full Member, Kenya Institute of Management: August 2001 to date
- Member, Africa Publishing Institute (as trainer in publishing): March 1994 to date
- Member, African Council of Communication Education: February 1986 to date
- Member, Kenya Oral Literature Association of Kenya: October 1985 to date
- Member, Children’s Literature Association of Kenya: October 1992 to date
- Member, Forum for African Women Educationalists (FAWE): 1998 to date
- Consulting Publishers for Friedrich Ebert Foundation (Nairobi): 1996 to date
- Consulting Editor, Goethe Institute, Nairobi: 2008 to date
- Chairman, Kenya Publishers’ Association: April 2002 to March 2005
- Board Member, National Book Development Council of Kenya: May 2002 to 2005
- Council Member, East African Book Development Association: May 2002 to 2005
- Council Member, African Publishers’ Network (APNET): April 2000 to 2005
- Council Member, International Publishers’ Association (IPA): January 2004 to 2007
- Founder, the Literary Forum (East African Standard) to September 1998.
- Member, Copyright Council of Kenya (KOPIKEN): 1999 to 2005
Professional listing in Marquis Who’s’ Who in the World (Millennium Edition)
- Member, Africa Science Editors Association: 1986 to 1992
Served on the organizing committee of the inaugural Pan African Children’s Book Fair 1990-1992 organized by the Council for Children’s Science Publications in Africa
- Member, Collaborative Centre for Gender and Development (1996 to 1998).
- Member, Award Jury and Organizing Committee, Female Journalist of the Award (1997) under the auspices of FAWE Kenya Chapter
Chairperson, Forum for Understanding (weekly discussion programme on Kenya Broadcasting Corporation Radio) – July 1996 to January 1998
- Anchor person, Talking Point, VIP Radio Debates on topical issues on KBC TV (August to December 2002)
- Consulting Publishers for Association of Local Government Authorities of Kenya (ALGAK) – 1996 to 1998
- Consulting Publisher for Kenya Magistrates and Judges Association (1997)
- Appointed by the Kenya Union of Journalists and the National Agency for the Campaign Against Drugs and Substance Abuse (NACADA) as Chief Judge for the Kenya Journalist of the Year Awards: October 2005
Edited upwards of eight hundred (800) full-length books in the natural sciences and in humanities, over three decades.
Retained for one week by Media Focus for Africa (AWEPA) to work with Parliamentarians in Congo Brazzaville on public communications.
June – September 2008
Consulted for UNICEF Kenya Country Office: Published two books in food and nutrition
Consulted for USA’s National Democratic Institute (NDI) Somalia Office (Nairobi) on Media Skills for Newsmakers
- April 1977 – November 1978: East African Advanced Certificate of Education, Cardinal Otunga High School, Mosocho, 3P, 1 S
- 1975 – 1976: East African Certificate of Education, Chavakali High School, First Division
- 1973 – 1974: Kenya Junior Secondary Education, Langata High School
- 1972: Ofafa Jericho Primary School, Nairobi: Certificate of Primary Education